Is this ok to do? Road debrit pebbles for grit?

hisdaughter

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Lakeland
I got this bright or not so bright idea, depending on what y'all say but I figured since chickens ingest pebbles/sand for grit that I would use the little pebbles from in front of our driveway. Mentioned it to my hubby and he's concerned because our road is asphalt which, I guess means that the little pebbles may be asphalt with tar on them. Do you think this is a problem? I put about 1/8 cup in about 10 cups of feed. Any ideas please...snickering is allowed for you chicken pros and yes, I am blonde!

I would not use asphalt.

Granite grit is good. Nice and sharp, not rounded. Here is a pic of optimal grit (what my feed store sells):

http://cherrystonegrit.com/grit_sizes.html
size #3 is large fowl
#2 is up to around 7 weeks
#1 is chick grit

If it is just regular gravel, I personally would use it. But if it has anything toxic mixed in, I'd pass.
(I just wanted to mention that there is a lady down the road who lives directly across the road from a feed store and she goes out in her driveway to get grit for her waterfowl.)

Last edited:
i agree

while it may work, it may not be the best option. i am not an expert on what road salts and oils can do to a chicken. i live where we get snow 4 months out of the year, and they put salts on the road to clear them. that runs off onto the gravel, as well as the oils from tires, engines, etc.

i'm sure they'll use them, but as to whether or not they are harmful, i can't say for sure.

my answer would probably be that it is not the best option
smile.png

also, depending on their age - i give my adults oyster shells for calcium and grit.

you will have people tell you that you cannot use it as grit. i am here to yell you that you can (there is some dispute that it can cause damage to growing chicks that don't need all the calcium - that i don't know, but i haven't had any problems).

that is what my adults get for grit. they also get whole corn for treats every day. if they were unable to use it as grit, i would have whole corn coming out the other end. i do not.

Well, I went to the feeder and tried to remove the very small pebbles of asphalt...it's impossible. So now what? Do I risk it or dump out 10 or so cups of feed?

I know, I know the grit they sell at the store is great stuff, but..... just to provide some perspective. Chickens have been domesticated for thousands of year, literally. Folks for centuries here in North America kept and bred the chickens that were the parent stock of chicks we own today. And they never bought grit at a store.
If your chickens have access to sand, pebbles and nature's grit, they will be fine, just as the chickens before them were. The main reason grit is sold is because modern chickens often do not have access, real access to gravel, sand and other natural grit sources. FWIW.

Fred's Hens :

I know, I know the grit they sell at the store is great stuff, but..... just to provide some perspective. Chickens have been domesticated for thousands of year, literally. Folks for centuries here in North America kept and bred the chickens that were the parent stock of chicks we own today. And they never bought grit at a store.
If your chickens have access to sand, pebbles and nature's grit, they will be fine, just as the chickens before them were. The main reason grit is sold is because modern chickens often do not have access, real access to gravel, sand and other natural grit sources. FWIW.

thumbsup.gif

I have used grit sized pebbles from a sand/gravel quarrry behind my house.
I would not use road grit because I don't know if there could be organic chemical contamination from passing vehicles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom